This pie goes together in mere minutes, but make it at least an hour before you'll need it. The best plan is to make it first thing in the morning and chill it all day. Or make it in the evening and have a slice for breakfast. I won't tell if you don't.
If you've never toasted coconut, don't worry; it's easy. Just use a wooden spoon to stir the coconut in a small skillet, watching it so it doesn't burn. The extra time to toast the coconut is well worth the effort.
Here's my recipe for this super-cool and creamy dessert:
Extra-Creamy Toasted Coconut Cream Pie
1/4 cup coconut flakes or shredded coconut
1 box coconut cream instant pudding mix (4-serving size)
1 box vanilla instant pudding mix (4-serving size)
3 cups cold milk (skim milk works well in this recipe)
about 1/2 carton of Cool Whip, thawed
1 10-inch prepared pie crust (graham cracker or shortbread)
Spread the coconut into a small skillet or saute pan. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring periodically, until the coconut is lightly toasted. Remove from heat and set aside.
Empty the milk into a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the two boxes of pudding mix for about 2 minutes or until well mixed. Gently fold in the Cool Whip until well combined.
Pour and evenly spread the pudding mixture into the pie crust. Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the top.
Chill the pie at least an hour before slicing and serving.
Makes 8 generous servings.
- A 9-inch pie crust will do, but 10-inch is better. This is the crust that I used in these pictures. Of course you can make homemade crust if you prefer and have time.
- Use two boxes of coconut cream pudding mix instead of one coconut and one vanilla. I like lots of vanilla flavor in mine so I use one of each.
- No need to measure the Cool Whip. Half the regular-sized container is plenty; a bit less would be fine.
- Omit the toasted coconut if desired but, in my opinion, the toasted coconut on top of the pie really makes a difference in the presentation as well as the texture and flavor of the finished product.
- Vary flavors as desired, using the same method. For instance, creamy pistachio pudding pie in an Oreo crust, topped with chopped pistachios, sounds yummy!
I'd love to know if you try the recipe and how you like it. Remember to pin it to your dessert board on Pinterest so you'll have quick access to the recipe when you need it.
|Cool and creamy Toasted Coconut Cream Pie|
is a perfect summertime dessert.
|Toasted Coconut Cream Pie - good to the last crumb!|