Here's the result:
Look good? It was good!
The recipe is a variation of this one, but to make it easy, I'll include the directions for this version right here.
Chocolate-Cherry Dump Cake (Black Forest dump cake variation)
- 2 cans cherry pie filling
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (your favorite, from devil's food to fudge)
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- chopped nuts or coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- "Dump" both cans of pie filling into a 9x13 pan. Spread evenly.
- Open the cake mix packet and distribute the dry mix on top of the cherries. DO NOT STIR.
- Cut the butter into chunks and distribute the chunks over the cake mix.
- Add chopped nuts or shredded coconut if using.
- Place the cake pan into the preheated oven. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until the pie filling bubbles through the nicely-browned cake.
- Serve warm with or without a scoop of ice cream on top.
That's all there is to it! This would be a wonderful Valentine's Day dessert or just a special treat for anyone who loves chocolate-covered cherries.
Have you tried this recipe yet? How about the original cherry-pineapple dump cake or another version? Feel free to leave a comment to share your favorite dump cake recipe variation.